I am back with yet another experience. This time it didn't go my way.

There are several frequent flyer programmes that reward you in terms of miles/points whenever you take a flight with their partner airlines. One of such reward scheme is provided by
AsiaMiles.com. However, I got lost in the labyrinth of their criteria over the class and the sub-class of flights. There rewards scheme is based on the sub-classes of the flights, which are not visible on any of the air ticket reservation sites. I tried to earn the reward points by providing my flight details on the AsiaMiles website after which I had to write several mails to them to understand this issue. The following are the series of mails that flew to and fro.

Mail 1: From Me To AsiaMiles
I need to add my miles to my account for the following flights:
1. CX-684 Feb 11, 2009 From Mumbai to Hong Kong
2. CX-919 Feb 11, 2009 From Hong Kong to Manila, Philippines
3. CX-918 Feb 15, 2009 From Manila, Philippines to Hong Kong
4. CX-683 Feb 15, 2009 From Hong Kong to Mumbai

Please do the needful.

Mail 2: From AsiaMiles To Me
Dear Mr Malvankar

Thank you for getting in touch with Asia Miles.

This is to explain why we are not able to credit Asia Miles to your account for the following activities:

10 February 2009 CX684 Mumbai - Hong Kong
11 February 2009 CX919 Hong Kong - Manila
15 February 2009 CX918 Manila - Hong Kong
15 February 2009 CX683 Hong Kong - Mumbai

Mileage credited is based on the fare class booked and shown on the air ticket. However, your ticket was purchased in fare class ‘S’ which is not eligible for mileage points.

For more information, please log on to www.asiamiles.com and then click “Earn Miles”, “Airline Partners”.

Kind regards
Eva Lui
Customer Relations Executive
Membership Administration
Asia Miles Service Centre

Mail 3: From Me To AsiaMiles
Could you please let me know the following:
1. In which clause is it mentioned that S class tickets are not eligible?
2. Why is this criteria laid for excluding S class tickets from reward points eligibility?
3. What other class tickets are available and are they eligible for Asia miles reward points?
4. Why are the criteria not mentioned at the time of booking tickets?

I was unaware of the facts that firstly my tickets were S class and secondly S class is not eligible for reward points.
Hence, I would request you to consider this request and allot me the reward points.

I would highly appreciate your cooperation.

Thanks,
Chandan Malvankar

Mail 4: From AsiaMiles To Me
Dear Mr Malvankar

Thank you for your e-mail.

This is to explain that there are various different subclasses within Economy Class which are eligible for mileage accrual. Mileage credits can be earned on qualifying air tickets and are based on the sub-class booked. Mileage is not awarded on award travel, prize, group and other special discounted or restricted tickets.

As your flights were booked in sub-class "S", which is a special fare and does not include a mileage accrual proposition, the activities were not recorded in your account.

For your reference, the following Cathay Pacific and Dragonair sub-classes are currently eligible for mileage accrual in Asia Miles:
First Class (150%): F & A
Business Class (125%): J, C, D & I
Economy Class (100%): Y, B, H, K, M, L & V

Excluded from the above, the sub-classes are not eligible for mileage accrual in this instance.

Kind regards
Eva Lui
Customer Relations Executive
Membership Administration
Asia Miles Service Centre

Mail 5: From Me to AsiaMiles
Hi Eva,

I agree with the fact that the criteria has been laid that sub-class S is not eligible for reward points.
But my point is that, selecting the sub-class is not in the customer's hand.
That is, I did not select the sub-class S. It was automatically assigned by the website/agents/whoever does that.

Attaching some screen shots for your reference. Details of the screenshots are as follows:
1. Screenshots from ClearTrip.com, MakeMyTrip.com and Travleocity.com, which are the major air ticket reservation websites. They have the option to select only the class and not the sub-class.
2. Screenshot from air ticket booking page of Cathay Pacific website. They too do not have the option to select the sub-class.
3. My e-tickets snapshots for the round trip from Mumbai to Manila. The tickets also do not mention any thing about the sub class.
4. My boarding pass for the flights also do not mention anything about the sub-class. Unfortunately, I do not have it scanned right now, but I can provide you the same if required.

My questions to you are:
1. How am I suppose to verify your statement that I travelled on sub-class S is true, when there is no mention of it on any of the documents?
2. Why am I supposed to bear the loss (of not getting reward points) for something I did not do myself?
3. Since you have these specific weird conditions on your reward point scheme, then why is the option to select the sub-class not with the customer?

I think this time I have put my point very clearly and I hope you understand.

My request to you after mentioning all these facts is that since I did not select the sub-class myself, I would appreciate if the rewards points are still credited to my account by assuming I travelled in some eligible sub-class of the Economy class.

This is my very first experience with AsiaMiles and would like to continue travelling with your partner airlines.
I have liked the services provided on and off the flight and it would be great if the same level of cooperation and consideration is provided by you too.

Regards,
Chandan Malvankar

No reply from AsiaMiles

Mail 6: From Me to AsiaMiles
Hi Eva,

Would you please be kind and reply to this mail?

Regards,
Chandan Malvankar

No reply from AsiaMiles

Mail 7: From Me to AsiaMiles
Hi,

This is my third and final mail to you before I write a bad feedback about Asia miles on all the major websites.
Is this how you handle all your customer queries, by just not replying?

Respond immediately.

Chandan Malvankar

This time I get a call from AsiaMiles
The AsiaMiles representative explained me the criteria again and told the following:
  • The sub-classes are visible when you book the tickets through the websites of their partner airlines. [And we are suppose to know this? Besides, how many people book tickets directly through the airline websites anyways?]
  • They do not have control over the air-ticket reservation websites like Cleartrip.com and Travelocity.com. Hence, these sites do not show the option of sub-classes. [So is that my fault that you have launched a scheme but did not think about the necessary interfaces required?]
  • The sub-class is not printed on any of the documents you are provided (e-ticket, boarding pass, etc.) since it is specific to the flight and not class in which you travel. [Here is a condition that is not visible, but still exists]
  • However, the sub-class is visible on the receipt that you get after making the payment and confirming the ticket. [What is the use of knowing the class after paying the money? I can't change it now, nor do I have the time to go through all this crap]
  • It is the customer's responsibilty to check the sub-class and see if you that class is eligible for the reward points. [I agree it is the customer's responsibility, but don't make us play hide-and-seek or treasure hunt games]
  • We cannot make an exception and give you the reward points. The rules are well-defined. [Thanks a lot. You have been very kind enough to prove that no matter what, you are right. I am waiting for the day you guys come out with a reward scheme in which a person earns points only if he dies, and only he can claim the reward points]
I also came across some bad review on Asia Miles on the net. These guys too faced similar problems as mine. Here are the links:

So, my personal experience with AsiaMiles has been bullshit. It might be a one off case, but I don't want to put myself through all this shit again just to confirm that it was a one off case.

Comments (2)

On August 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM , xianglin said...

Hi, I have the same problem with AisaMiles. I just made 2 round trip between NZ and China in the past 4 months, and gonna go for another on in Sep. I just realized all my tickets are under "S" subclass... so I get no points awarded~ this really sucks! no on has ever told me that this subclass doesn't offer any reward points! Really hate this stupid programme!

 
On September 7, 2010 at 5:46 AM , laura said...

Hi there,
I've had countless frustrations with Cathay/Asiamiles over the years. I have yet to be credited on any flights on their "partner" airlines for the same reasons you mention. I have also been trying to use my points for 6 years and many of them have expired. I am so fed up with this company! I travel YVR to HKG with 2-3 of my colleagues about 2-3 times a year and I do everything in my power to not book any of our flights with Cathay. They have lost about $10,000/yr of our company's business because of their pathetic awards program, terrible in-flight service and laughable customer service.